User Name:


Demo  |  Individual Enroll  |  Commercial Enroll
 
 
checking accounts
 
   
   
about us  
Located in Scotland, South Dakota, the Farmers and Merchants State Bank was chartered and began operations on September 7, 1920. Original organizers of the bank were Philip Engel, Alex Brown, C.D. Donley, Guy R. Brown, Joseph Stevenson, and H.N. Hess. The bank is located in its original location built in 1919 at 550 Main Street. The structure was extensively remodeled in 1972 with an addition being added in 1991 along with interior updates.

George D. Behl and his spouse Meredith Behl were elected to the Board in January, 1938. George became President of the bank with the encouragement of Erling Haugo, the Superintendent of Banks in 1938. George served the bank until his death at age 77 in 1969. After serving in the armed forces son Darwin Behl (Bud) joined the bank in August of 1941 and served the bank until his death in 2015. Darwin's wife Marilyn joined the bank in 1945 and served as head of operations and most recently, public relations until her death in 2012. Dick D. Behl joined the bank in January of 1977 and took over the day to day management of the bank as President in 1982. Michael D. Behl joined the bank in October of 2009 and is active in Compliance and IT. The current Board of Directors consists of Chairman Dick D. Behl, Margaret Behl, Nancy Auch, Donna Bush, Melvin Kepplinger, and Michael D. Behl.

Farmers and Merchants State Bank currently has ten staff members with six board members. The board and staff are proud to be an independent community bank for 90 plus years strong!

Farmers and Merchants State Bank's motto is:
“Hometown Banking With Your Neighbors and Friends.”
   Copyright 2016 Farmers & Merchants State Bank. All Rights Reserved. Website Designed and Maintained by Studio 78.                                                      Privacy Policy     |     Site Map